Fraud, Waste and Abuse
- Physicians (does not apply to Cal MediConnect)
- Participating Physician Groups (PPG)
(does not apply to HSP)
- Los Angeles
- San Bernardino
- San Diego
- San Joaquin
Fraud is intentional misrepresentation or deception for the purpose of obtaining payment or other benefits not otherwise due. Waste is the overutilization or inappropriate utilization of services and misuse of resources. Abuse includes those practices that are inconsistent with accepted sound fiscal, business or medical practices. The following are examples of fraud and abuse:
- Intentional misrepresentation of services rendered.
- Deliberate application for duplicate reimbursement.
- Intentional improper billing practices.
- Failure to maintain adequate records to substantiate services.
- Failure to provide services that meet professionally recognized standards of health care.
- Conducting excessive office visits or writing excessive prescriptions.
- Provision of unnecessary services .
Health Net is responsible for reporting to the state its findings of suspected fraud and abuse by participating providers or vendors under its Medi-Cal and Cal MediConnect plans. Suspected fraud and abuse is identified through various sources that include aggregate data analysis, review of high-cost providers, review of CPT-4 codes with potential for over-use, members, the state, law enforcement agencies, other providers, and associates.
Providers and their office staff are legally required to report suspected cases of fraud and abuse to Health Net. Reports of suspected fraud may be made anonymously to the Health Net Fraud Hotline.