Health Net, Inc. and all of its subsidiaries/affiliates ("Health Net") have adopted a strict guideline regarding the confidentiality of certain information provided to Health Net associates. This guideline applies to all Health Net associates as described below:
All Associates are prohibited from any unauthorized access to, use or disclosure of patient ("Member") or health care provider information, Health Net proprietary information, including, but not limited to, medical records, claims, benefits or other administrative data that is personally identifiable, in addition to, Health Net quality improvement programs, reports, and disease management information (hereinafter, collectively referred to as "Confidential Information").
Associates must hold in strict confidence, and not copy, disclose or permit the disclosure to any person, other than as stated in Health Net's Notice of Privacy Practices, any Confidential Information. Associates must comply with all Health Net policies and procedures concerning the safeguarding of all Confidential Information. Associates must comply with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations regarding Confidential Information.
By using our Website in any way, such as browsing or interacting, you signify that you agree with the terms of our current Policy as posted here. If you do not agree with this Policy, you should not use our Website. Health Net may update or modify this Policy from time to time at our sole discretion by posting a new version on this Website, with the date of last update noted at the top. We encourage you to visit this area frequently to stay informed because your continued use of our Websites following the posting of changes to these terms means that you consent to such changes.
2. Information We Collect
In general, you can visit our Website without telling us who you are or revealing personal information about yourself. You (or your personal representative) can, however, voluntarily provide personal information, which refers to:
- Contact information (such as name, address, email address and telephone number)
- Demographic information (such as age, date of birth, gender, marital status, ZIP code, and household composition)
- Financial information (such as social security number, bank account information, or credit card information)
- Health Information (such as information submitted on a health insurance enrollment application)
If you choose to interact on the Website – such as by registering, applying for products or services, submitting orders, questionnaires, surveys, or requests for information, or using mobile applications or social media platforms – Health Net will collect the personal information that you (or your personal representative) provide. We may enhance or merge the information that you provide to us directly with information from other sources, including third parties, or merge your personal information with data regarding how you use our site, for the purposes described below.
You can view your data in our system through our customer/member secure portal. To change or correct your information, please call the Customer Contact Center phone number located on the back of your ID card.
3. How We Use Your Information
We may collect, maintain, and use your personal information for the following purposes:
- helping to establish and verify the identity and eligibility of users;
- opening, maintaining, administering and servicing users profiles, accounts or memberships (including to confirm website transactions with you);
- processing an application or enrollment as requested by you;
- providing services and support to users, such as delivering web-based products or services, informing you about health or wellness programs you might be interested in provided by us or other businesses, or providing documents or other information you request (such as Explanations of Benefits (EOBs) or billing and payment information);
- marketing our products and services to you;
- analyzing and improving our products, services, Website, and advertising, including tailoring it to users' preferences;
- administering surveys or promotions;
- providing users with company updates or with information about Website functionality;
- responding to your inquiries or other requests;
- contacting you when necessary;
- keeping a record of our transactions and communications;
- maintaining the security and integrity of our systems;
- protecting the health, safety or welfare of others; and
- complying with legal requirements, complying with legal process, or defending our legal rights.
4. Technology Logging, Cookies, and Related Techniques
Health Net also collects certain non-personal information and aggregate information about you to help us analyze and improve the usefulness of our Website. "Non-personal information" includes information that does not directly identify you personally, but provides us with anonymous "usage data," such as the number of unique visitors we receive, what pages are visited most often, and the navigation preferences and characteristics of our visitors. Examples of such non-personal information include, but are not limited to:
- Cookies: Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to a user's computer for purposes of storing information about a user's preferences, to deliver content specific to your interests, or to maximize the performance of our Website and services. Cookies do not personally identify users (such as by collecting your name or address), but they do assign a unique data element to each visitor so that the Website can recognize repeat users, track usage patterns, and better serve you when you return to the Website.
- Browser information: Web browsers collect and store information about the type of device and operating system you are using to access our Website, as well as your device's MAC address for facilitating network communications. Accessing this information helps us to establish a secure and consistent connection to you during your visits to our website.
- Web beacons: We may also place Web beacons in our emails to measure the effectiveness of our email campaigns by identifying the individuals who open or act upon an email message, when an email message is opened, how many times an email message is forwarded, the type of software, device, operating system and browser used to deliver the email, and any URL accessed through our email message.
- IP Address: An Internet Protocol address is a number that automatically identifies the computer or machine you have used to access the Internet. The IP address enables our server identify your geographic location and to send you the webpages that you want to visit, and it may disclose the server owned by your Internet Service Provider.
At this time, we do not honor "do not track" signals from a web site browser. However, you may refuse or delete cookies. If you have your browser set to private browsing, or refuse or delete cookies, you may not be able to take full advantage of the Website.
5. Data Sharing and Storage
Health Net will not sell your personal information to any other third party for their own use unless we disclose this to you at the time the information is collected and obtain your consent. We do not currently share your personal information with any outside third parties in order for them to market directly to you.
Health Net may disclose your personal information to third parties for the following reasons:
- We may use unaffiliated companies such as agents or contractors ("Third Parties") to help us maintain and operate our Websites, to provide you with services that you have requested, or for other reasons related to the operation of our business (including the information uses listed above). In the event we provide personal information to these Third Parties, they are restricted from using this data in any way other than to provide the required services for us.
- We reserve the right to release your personal information if required to do so by law, search warrant, subpoena, court order, upon request of government authorities, or as reasonably necessary to protect Health Net, the individuals that Health Net serves, or the public.
- We may provide your personal information to affiliated entities or third parties in connection with the actual or prospective sale or transfer of some or all of a business to which you submitted your information, or in the event of a corporate change. We may share your personal information with Health Net affiliated companies and subsidiaries for marketing reasons.
We may also disclose to third parties (or allow third parties to compile) your non-personal information from the cookies, Web beacons, or other technologies on our Website for purposes including but not limited to measuring site activity and providing a better user experience.
Your personal information and non-personal information may be stored in Health Net databases, affiliated company or subsidiary databases, or databases managed by third party service providers, which are located within and outside of the United States. Your information will be automatically transferred to these databases for storage and maintenance. These databases may be located in countries where privacy rules differ and may be less stringent than those of the country in which you reside.
6. Social Media Platforms
Our Websites' web pages may embed plugs-ins, widgets, or other apps of various social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. An example of such a plug-in is Facebook's "Like" button. When you encounter those embedded objects, your internet browser may make a direct connection to the social media platform's service and may share information such as which of our Websites you have visited. Our Websites may also be made available through third party social media platforms.
7. Mobile Applications Privacy Statement
Health Net has developed certain mobile applications that you may download to your mobile device. When you download a mobile application there may be an opportunity for you to provide us with, or for us to obtain, information about you such as contact information, preferences, photographs, and other identifying information. Our mobile application may also collect location information.
Health Net takes reasonable steps to protect the security of your information, including use of appropriate physical, technical, and administrative safeguards. The nature of the Internet, however, prevents us from guaranteeing the confidentiality of information we receive through the Website or via e-mail. Therefore, please do not use e-mail or this Website (unless you are logged in to your health.com account and use the secure forms available to you once logged in) to communicate information to us that you consider to be confidential.
Health Net does not intentionally collect personal information from children under 13 years of age, and children under age 13 should not submit any personal information to us. If we become aware that a child has provided us with personal information without parental consent, or a parent or guardian of a child contacts us through the contact information provided below, we will use reasonable efforts to delete the child's information from our databases.
Health Net may from time to time send electronic communications to you in the form of newsletters, notification of account status, and other communications, such as marketing. We may also send email communications regarding topics such as general health benefits, website updates, health conditions, and general health topics. We will offer appropriate consent mechanisms within the specific email communication, such as opt-out/unsubscribe, for marketing and certain other communications, or you can contact us as described below.
At certain locations on our Website where we request information about the user, our Website provides users the opportunity to opt-out of receiving communications from us. If you are a member and have registered on the healthnet.com site, you may also change your email preferences in your profile.
Please be aware that opting out of marketing or other communications will not apply to certain communications such as account status, website updates, or website functionality communications.
11. Contact Us
Health Net Privacy Office
Attention: Privacy Office
P.O. Box 9103
Van Nuys, CA 91409
Fax: (818) 676-8314
12. Your California Privacy Rights
If you want to restrict how we use your information or how we disclose your information to third parties, or have other questions about this Policy, you may submit your request online.
California residents may have certain additional rights, including the right to information about how personal information is shared with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year. Please be aware that we do not share your information with non-affiliated third parties for any third party direct marketing purposes. We may share personal information with affiliated entities that share the same brand name as Health Net. If you are a California resident, you have the right to submit a request to receive, with respect to such affiliated third parties that share the same brand name as Health Net, the following information: (a) the categories of information Health Net disclosed to such affiliated entities; and (b) the overall number of affiliated companies that share the same brand name. You may contact us for such information at 1-800-522-0088 or you may submit your request online.
Last Updated: 06/08/2016