Dual-Risk Contracts Encounter Data Submission
- Participating Physician Groups (PPG)
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- San Joaquin
Participating physician groups (PPGs) who are contracting for dual risk are responsible for submitting encounter data to Health Net monthly for all professional and hospital services in a complete, accurate and timely manner. Health Net requires PPGs to submit their encounter data according to the terms of the Provider Participation Agreement (PPA).
The following applies to Medicare dual-risk contracts:
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services' (CMS') payment methodology is a risk-adjusted payment rate based on hospital encounter data submitted to the health plans. Payment is based on demographic factors and reported health conditions. Payments for members with no reported conditions are reduced, while payments for members with specific reported conditions can be significantly increased. For the hospital to receive increased payments, the condition needs to be reported via encounter data. Failure to report these encounters can have significant impact on the PPG's and hospital's revenues.
- CMS requires hospitals to submit full UB-04 data. Providers needing assistance should contact the Capitated Claims/Encounter Department.
- Upcoding of ICD-10 diagnosis codes is not allowed. CMS audits hospital medical records to ensure that this does not occur.
- Continue to include the Medicare HCPCS code on the UB-04 form for each hospitalized member.
In accordance with the PPA, Health Net and the member's PPG require notification to Health Net and the applicable PPG of a member's inpatient admission within 24 hours for the following types of admissions:
- Acute inpatient
- Skilled nursing facility (SNF)
- Inpatient rehabilitation
- Inpatient hospice