Notification of Hospital Admissions
- Participating Physician Groups (PPG)
Hospitals are required to report any Health Net member's inpatient admissions (including Individual Family Plan (IFP)* within 24 hours or one business day when an admission occurs on a weekend. To report an admission, contact the Health Net Hospital Notification Unit. Failur to notify according to requirements in the Provider Participation Agreement (PPA) may result in a denial of payment.
Calls made after hours are recorded on voicemail. Inpatient admissions may also be reported by fax, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A Health Net representative verifies eligibility, obtains information regarding the admission, and, if applicable, provides a tracking number for the claim.
When reporting inpatient admissions, providers must have the following information:
- Member name.
- Subscriber identification (ID) number.
- Attending and admitting physicians' first name, last name and contact information.
- Admission date and time of admission.
- Admission type (such as emergency room, elective or urgent).
- Facility name and contact information.
- Level of care.
- Admitting diagnosis code.
- CPT procedure code, if available.
- Facility medical record number.
- Participating physician group (PPG) authorization number.
- For obstetrical (OB) delivery admissions, include newborn sex, weight, apgar score, time of birth, and medical record number.
- Discharge date, if applicable.
- Other insurance information, if applicable.
Timely notification of Health Net member inpatient admissions assists with timely payment of claims, reduces retroactive admission reviews and enables Health Net to concurrently monitor member progress. Health Net requires hospitals to notify the Health Net Hospital Notification Unit and the PPG or provider of a member's inpatient admission within 24 hours or one business day when an admission occurs on a weekend for the following services:
- All inpatient hospitalizations.
- Skilled nursing facility (SNF) admissions.
- Inpatient rehabilitation admissions.
- Inpatient hospice services.
- Emergency room admissions.
On receipt of admission notification, authorized services are entered into the Health Net's notification system and a tracking number is created and provided to the reporting party. The tracking number is also transferred electronically to the Health Net claims processing system.
The tracking number is not an authorization that services are covered under a member's benefit plan.
Telephone coverage is provided 24 hours a day, seven days a week for non-participating facilities reporting post-stabilization. Note: plans for which Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) provides oversight (HMO, POS, Elect, Elect Open Access) have telephone coverage 24 hours a day, seven days a week for non-participating facility requests for prior authorization of services for patients deemed stabilized.
*IFPs include PureCare One EPO and IFP PPO.