Hospital Discharge Planning
- Participating Physician Groups (PPG)
(does not apply to HSP)
Participating providers are required to work with hospitals to create an appropriate discharge plan for Health Net members, including post-hospital care and member notification of patient rights.
Each hospital must have a written discharge planning policy and process that includes:
- Counseling for the member or family members to prepare them for post-hospital care, if needed.
- A transfer summary that accompanies the member upon transfer to a skilled nursing facility (SNF), intermediate-care facility, or a part-skilled nursing or intermediate care service unit of the hospital.
- Information regarding each medication dispensed must be given to the member upon discharge.
Members have the right to:
- Be informed of continuing health care requirements following discharge from the hospital.
- Be informed that, if the member authorizes, a friend or family member may be provided information about the member's continuing health care requirements following discharge from the hospital.
- Actively participate in decisions regarding medical care. To the extent permitted by law, participation includes the right to refuse treatment.
- Appropriate pain assessment and treatment.