Hospital and Inpatient Facility Discharge Planning
- Participating Physician Groups (PPG)
(does not apply to HSP)
Participating providers are required to work with hospitals and inpatient facilities (general acute care hospitals, long-term acute care hospitals and skilled nursing facilities) to create an appropriate discharge plan and care transition protocol for Health Net members, including post-hospital care and member notification of patient rights.
Each hospital or inpatient facility must have a written discharge planning policy and process that includes:
- Counseling for the member or family members to prepare them for post-hospital or post-inpatient facility care, if needed.
- A transfer summary that accompanies the member upon transfer to a skilled nursing facility (SNF), intermediate-care facility, or a part-skilled nursing or intermediate care service unit of the hospital.
- Information regarding each medication dispensed must be given to the member upon discharge.
Members have the right to:
- Be informed of continuing health care requirements following discharge from the hospital or inpatient facility.
- Be informed that, if the member authorizes, a friend or family member may be provided information about the member's continuing health care requirements following discharge from the hospital or inpatient facility.
- Actively participate in decisions regarding medical care. To the extent permitted by law, participation includes the right to refuse treatment.
- Appropriate pain assessment and treatment.
Electronic medical records or administrative system
In accordance with the Provider Participating Agreement (PPA) and Federal regulation 42 CFR 482.24 section (d) , hospitals and facilities must ensure compliance and prompt electronic notification of patient discharges and transfers. The following organizations have been designated as qualified health information organizations (QHIOs) and are available to assist with Data Exchange Framework (DxF) requirements:
- Los Angeles Network for Enhanced Services (LANES)
- Manifest MedEx
- SacValley MedShare
- San Diego Health Connect
- Applied Research Works, Inc.
- Health Gorilla, Inc.
- Long Health, Inc.
- Orange County Partners in Health-Health Information Exchange (OCPH-HIE)
- Serving Communities Health Information Organization (SCHIO)